Halong bay is well known for its charming beauty of limestone mountains in immense water. Every year, it attracts hundreds of thousands tourists from all over the world. However, it would be confusing for foreigners to find the way to this beautiful bay, especially from remote areas.
In this article, we will give you several ways of getting from the peaceful ancient town Hoi An, located in Quang Nam province in Central Vietnam, to Halong bay. See options of transportation to travel from Hoi An to Halong Bay and vice versa below!
I. Distance from Hoi An to Halong Bay
It takes 909 km (565 miles) by land to get from Hoi An to Halong Bay and vice versa. As the distance is quite far, there are some different ways to travel between these 2 places, including by bus / private transfer, plane and train.
II. How to Travel from Hoi An to Halong bay
Halong bay, your destination, belongs to Halong city of Quang Ninh province. The bay is a center of a larger zone including Bai Tu Long bay and Cat Ba island. Now, let’s take a look at detailed ways to transfer from Hoi An ancient town to the bay. Each way will include both pros and cons so it is easier for you to choose the most suitable way.
1. Hoi An to Halong Bay by Bus/Private Transfer
Duration: 17 hours
Cost: from USD 35
This is a popular choice for those who have a long trip in Vietnam. To catch the bus, you need to arrive in Danang first in which buses are more available. Currently, there are no direct buses connecting Hoi An and Halong Bay. Therefore, you should expect to travel through the 2 following steps:
- Travel from Danang to Ninh Binh by sleeper bus:
This may take you about 15 hours. On the way, there will be some stops in different provinces so you can have lunch or dinner. The drive will follow the QL1A Highway, passing Hue city the former capital of Vietnam, charming Ke Go Lake, Vinh city the economic and cultural hub in central Vietnam. The last stop Ninh Binh city is also a popular tourist attraction in Vietnam which is famous for limestone cliffs emerging from the ground and immense lush rice fields. It is also called “Halong bay in land”. The place could be an ideal stop before departing for the real Halong bay.
- Travel from Ninh Binh to Halong Bay:
Getting from Ninh Binh city to Halong bay is easier by catching a tourist bus or a minivan. It takes from 3 to 5 hours depending on your chosen means of transportation. The bus ticket costs only from USD 10 to 18. The higher the price is, the faster you will get to Halong bay and the better the service is.
Pros and Cons when traveling from Hoi An to Halong Bay by bus/private transfer:
- Suitable for those who have enough time and budget
- See more different places in the coastline of Vietnam
- Enjoy cultural differences between the North and Central
- Time consuming
- Possible language barrier at stations
- Inflexible departure and arrival stops
2. Hoi An to Halong Bay by Plane
Duration: 4 hours
Cost: from USD 60
Plan is for sure the fastest and most convenient means of transportation for traveling this far distance from Hoi An to Halong Bay. However, there are no airports in the ancient town. So, you need to catch a taxi to Danang International Airport which is the closest airport to Hoi An until now. From here, you can choose to depart from Danang to Hanoi or Danang to Haiphong. Both of these landing destinations are in the North of Vietnam and you can easily take a bus to Halong bay.
Or, if you want a more pleasant experience, there is a direct flight from Danang to Van Don Airport in Halong bay. From there, you are able to travel to other islands in the bay by ferry or speedboat.
Pros and Cons when traveling from Hoi An to Halong Bay by plane:
- Time saving
- Enjoy majestic views of spectacular mountains and stretching rice paddy fields in Vietnam from above
3. Hoi An to Halong Bay by Train
Duration: 20 hours
Cost: from USD 45
Have you ever heard about Vietnamese trains? It was built under French colonization and still used until now. Traveling by day train or overnight train in Vietnam is a brand new experience that’s hard to find in other countries.
The railway stretches 1,072 miles from the North to the South of Vietnam. However, it doesn’t pass Hoi An ancient town. The only option to catch the train is travelling to Danang first. The train will take you through 770 km from Danang to Hanoi-the capital of Vietnam. There are several seat choices for you ranging from 1st class, 2nd class seat, to sleeper. As the travelling time on the train is long so lunch and dinner could be served on the train. After arriving in Hanoi, you can choose to stay there for a day for discovery or catch a bus heading to Halong bay.
Booking: You can book your train tickets online via website in advance. E-ticket will be sent to your email so you can print or save it on your mobile phone.
Pros and Cons when traveling from Hoi An to Halong Bay by train:
- Experience a new method of exploring the beauty of Vietnam
- Meet some Vietnamese local people and immerse yourself in local culture
- Cheaper price than traveling by plane
- Save your hotel bill if you choose an overnight train
- Time consuming
- Backache if you choose hard seats
III. Tips for Travelling from Hoi An to Halong Bay
As it is quite difficult for foreigners to travel to Halong bay on your own, so here are some tips for you:
- Choose higher class buses to get a more comfortable travel experience. These buses have soft seats, Wifi connection, air conditioners, bathrooms, etc.
- Flight tickets should be booked in advance to secure a good seat for you
- Expect delays for your bus. Still, remember to get to your bus station at least 15 minutes before departure time.
- Research the schedule of buses and trains carefully
- Get some advice from your hotel receptionist or local people.
There are several ways of getting from Hoi An to Halong bay, each of them has both pros and cons. Hope that you find this article helpful in choosing the best way to suit your travel goals. If you have any questions on travelling, don’t forget to email us for more support.
Keyword: Hoi An To Halong Bay With 3 Traveling Options